If you are a photographer looking for a platform to create an awesome portfolio to showcase your work, sell photos online then which one will be the best among SmugMug & Squarespace? There are so many website builders available to build an online photography website in the next few minutes.
But how many of them are actually built to fulfill the specific needs of a photographer, blogger or you’re an artist? You can definitely build a WordPress site and use any photography theme to maintain your collection. But this is not everyone’s cup of tea.
So, it is better to choose among the best Best “Photography Website” Hosting & Photo Hosting Sites in 2019.
- Weebly (Pricing: $8 – $38/month)
- SmugMug (Pricing: $3.99 – $25/month)
- WIX (Pricing: $5 – $35/month)
- Squarespace (Pricing: $12 – $40/month)
But this post is all about the comparison between SmugMug & Squarespace. If you want to know quick among these 2 platforms? then here is my opinion.
- If you are a beginner & want to create your photography website by spending less, then Start With SmugMug.
- If you are professional and want to create a full-featured online portfolio site then Go With Squarespace.
Affiliate Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links and I will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking on my links. This will not cost you a single penny extra. Thanks for the understanding and using my links to purchase.
More useful reviews & products you would love to explore
- BuddyBoss Review 2019: Best BuddyPress Themes & Plugin providers
- Thrive Themes Review 2019: #1 Tool Box For Affiliate Marketer
- StudioPress Themes Review 2019: #1 WordPress Theme Developer
- SiteGround Hosting Review 2019: #1 WordPress Hosting For Bloggers
SmugMug Review 2019 [Key Highlights]
SmugMug is a very good place to build your photography website with affordable budget. It is not that easy to create and maintain a WordPress site for your photographs. And at the same time platforms like SmugMug also provides a platform to sell photos online.
Here are a few of the key highlights of SmugMug before proceeding with this comparison.
- A huge collection of mobile-responsive templates which will fit with any device. You can also switch among templates easily.
- Upload all your photos and create your portfolio in quick time.
- With all SmugMug plans you will get the option to make your portfolio into an e-commerce platform quickly and sell photos online.
- SmugMug offers mostly portfolio templates, that means it is a perfect platform for artists and designers as well as photographers.
- You can start with their 14 days free trial. You can upgrade to their paid plans anytime with a 15% discount.
Squarespace Review 2019 [Features & Pricing]
Squarespace is without any doubt one of the larger platforms when you compare SmugMug Vs Squarespace. At least from features and visitors point of view.
Here are few of the awesome features of Squarespace.
- Every Squarespace template design supports all major content types, including Pages, Galleries, Blogs, Commerce, Calendars, and more.
- Squarespace includes a curated set of fonts from Google’s font library that can be used without having to insert embed codes.
- Create a powerful visual experience. Bring your website background to life with a video of your choice.
- Squarespace customers can now access over 40 million images from Getty Images’ collection of high-quality creative and editorial photos, spanning breaking news and major events.
- You have full control over image file names across the system to make sure your image is SEO optimized.
SmugMug Vs. Squarespace Comparison For Photographers
Both systems have benefits designed with users needs, but there are a few key differences. The big one is that Squarespace is a platform built for multiple types of businesses and SmugMug is designed by photographers and for photographers so it meets their needs.
Both systems enable you to easily build a website and store your photos, depending on the package you buy you’ll also be able to sell prints. But that is where the similarities end. If you’re a photographer, blogger or hobbyist and you’re looking for a solution that meets your specific needs, then we recommend SmugMug, here’s why.
Photography Apps to Assist in Your Workflow
Because the system is designed by photography enthusiasts, they’re always adding new features that only a photographer would think of. This includes tools like the lightroom app which lets you seamless upload and move from processing to your portfolio quickly and easily.
There’s also the SmugMug app which lets you instantly upload from your camera or phone directly to your website or storage helping to ensure you never lose a shot if you lose or accidentally break a memory card.
Unlimited Photo Storage & Secure Galleries
Storage and security go hand in hand for photographers. Not only do you need to safely store and organize your shots, but you need to be able to sort and retrieve them quickly and easily. That’s why SmugMug’s unlimited photo storage and easy folder and retrieval system is so popular.
Just like your desktop, you can create and store your work in a way that makes sense and fits your storage style. You can also create secure galleries that are drag and drop.
Each gallery can be customized to meet you and your client’s needs. You can disable right-clicking, lock them behind passwords or make them only accessible via a special link. The gallery can also be customized without having to know any code so that they match your style and are easy for your clients to use.
How Popular Is SmugMug & Squarespace?
If you check online about the popularity of these 2 websites [https://hypestat.com] you can clearly find that Squarespace is a bigger platform with more visitors compared to SmugMug.
Even if you compare SmugMug with other photo hosting sites like Wix, Weebly etc you will find the numbers low for SmugMug.
But the biggest advantage of SmugMug platform is their specialty exclusively for photographers only. You can easily import your photos from Flickr, Dropbox.
Create Photo Websites That Sell Prints
SmugMug also makes it easy to sell prints. When you buy the Pro package or higher, you’ll have the option to sell prints on anything from fridge magnets to metal wall art.
You get to choose the price points so you can make as much or as little as you’d like and SmugMug offers a couponing system so you can run specials when you need a boost in sales or want to do something fun to reward your loyal art fans. But setting prices and offering coupons isn’t the only thing to consider, there is also print quality.
A huge advantage you’ll find with SmugMug over Squarespace is the print shops they have deals with. Because SmugMug is photographer focused, they are very selective with the print shops they recommend.
Make Money By Selling Photographs Online
Their system is set up with trusted vendors around the world that they know to produce quality work. Because they have these relationships, your international fans will also be able to save and you’ll have more opportunities to make money.
If you have someone in England that wants to buy a print, you can have it printed with their UK partner. Now your fan won’t have to wait or pay for costly and slow international shipping because it will be printed more closely to them. The same goes if you live in Australia and want to sell a shot of surfers or the outback to an American. SmugMug makes it easy for you to make money and in more ways.
Squarespace V. SmugMug Pricing Comparison
Both the platform offers a couple of paid plan where you can enjoy resources as per the need. If you compare both, SmugMug plans starts with the very low cost of $3.99/mo if you grab the annual plans [Save 33%].
At the same time, Squarespace offers personal plan $12/mo in case billed annually. You can also go for their monthly billing plans by paying $16/mo. Looks expensive for a starter.
Conclusion: SmugMug Vs. Squarespace [Which is best for Photographers]
So, I hope you like this comparison where mostly I tried to showcase why SmugMug is offering an affordable platform compared to Squarespace especially for beginners to start a photography website in 2019. Without any doubt, Squarespace is a market leader in this segment, but for a specific need, SmugMug has advantages.