Blogging is no more fun or a hobby. When I start my first blog in 2009, I just did that to share recipes as time pass activity. But in 2019, the meaning of blogging is getting free from a typical life, travel the world, quit your 9 to 5 job, get early retirement etc.
Yes, blogging is one of the ways to earn money online. You don’t have to get trapped in make money online scams, data entry jobs etc. Simply start your blog in 2019 and generate income in several ways.
But if you don’t know from where to start, I am going to help you to set up your website. Finish this massive guide on 10 Easy Steps To Start a Blog in 2019. This is a 5000-word article, so find some time to read the complete article to understand the Blogging Business.
- Chapter 1: What is a Blog? What is the difference between a website & blog?
- Chapter 2: How much money one can make from blogging business?
- Chapter 3: Basic skills required to start blogging as a career in India
- Chapter 4: Difference between free blogging Vs self-hosted WordPress blog
- Chapter 5: How to choose blogging Niche? Micro Niche VS Multi-niche
- Chapter 6: Where To Host Your Website For Best Performance
- Chapter 7: How To Choose A Domain Name For Your Blog
- Chapter 8: How to Install WordPress in just 2 minute
- Chapter 9: Essential settings to do after installing WordPress
- Chapter 10: How To Plan Yoru Content And Write Your First Blog Post
Desperate to start a blog on WordPress to make money online? Although there are a couple of free blogging platforms, where you can easily create your first blog without spending money. But, if you are serious about your blogging career then you should consider the self-hosted WordPress platform only.
I receive many emails regarding how to make money online in India. As the internet is penetrating deep in India, the opportunities for making money online are also spreading. But whether you are from India or any part of the world, this article is for everyone who wants to start a blog on WordPress.
Blogging has become one of the best ways to make money online and this is a 100% genuine way without any shortcut. Blogging is not a scheme which will make you the millionaire overnight, rather it has become a solid online business model and a full-time career option for many people.
Not clear about this blogging business yet? let me share my example here.
I have started this blog bloggingjoy.com, where I am sharing various articles related to WordPress technology, web hosting tutorials, product reviews, blogging tips etc. Regularly I am writing articles and following various search engine optimization techniques to improve my blogs ranking, authority & trust.
Then how will this blog make money? Actually, there are a couple of ways I can make money from this blog. Let’s document few of them here.
- Affiliate Marketing: I am writing products reviews where I am sharing my experiences, how to guide etc. I am including my affiliate link to those articles so that if someone finds the articles useful and purchase the product I will get some commission from that purchase. E.g. my website is hosted on Bluehost and I have shared an exclusive review of Bluehost WordPress hosting. At the same time, I am also helping people by sharing a special Bluehost coupon, so that they can get 66% discount.
- Sponsored Post: My website is also open for sponsored posts and guest articles. Although I accept free guest articles from quality bloggers having their own websites. But mostly I accept paid post and make money for that.
- Selling Website Space: Besides that, if your website has a good amount of traffic then you can easily sell website space for banner advertising.
These are few of the common ways one can make money from a blog. There are various other ways also, that I will add here as soon as I will be able to make money using those methods.
Anyway, without wasting much time let’s start this step by step guide to starting a WordPress blog. This is going to be a very long article as I tried to cover almost everything I learned in the last couple of years of blogging.
I hope this will surely help people to understand the process of creating a blog, how to blog and how to generate a passive income source besides their regular 9 to 5 office or job. If I can do that, then I am sure that you will also be able to do that after reading this exclusive guide.
A Free 10-Step Course to Starting a WordPress Blog ( Detailed blogging for beginners course)
If you are searching for a free blogging course regarding how to set up a blog on WordPress platform, then I am sure you will find this course very much helpful. I have created this start a blog course from my own experiences, failures & learnings.
Let’s have a quick look at the summary of this free blogging course.
[thrive_headline_focus title=”Chapter 1″ orientation=”center”]
[thrive_text_block color=”light” headline=”What is Blog? Difference Between A Blog & A Website”]Blogging is such a popular term in India nowadays that everyone is searching for what is a blog? In simple term, a blog is nothing but a website only.
Now with a website, we understand a static website where a couple of pages like home page with the details about the website is about, contact us, about us, privacy, disclaimer etc. Or you can say something like Amazon where tons of products listed to a clear intention of selling products.
But you might have noticed that almost every website is having a separate blog section. There they were mostly sharing useful articles related to their business or products.
So, if we have to differentiate between a website & blog then they are nothing but websites only. But a blog always expects new content, where a website may not.
Should I start a website or blog?
If you have any product to sell online, then definitely you should create a website around your product with an optimized landing page. But at the same time make sure to start a blog to spread various information about your products. This will help you to promote your product through content.
But, if you don’t have anything to sell online then you can start a WordPress blog like BloggingJOY.com. You can clearly notice how I am creating various topics day after day and publishing on this blog. I mostly write on WordPress tutorials, Web Hosting, WordPress theme, How to make money online etc.
I hope you are clear enough to take the decision to start a blog. One more time, I want to stress the importance of creating a blog whether you have an existing website or not. Through your blog, you can promote your products or others via content marketing.[/thrive_text_block]
[thrive_headline_focus title=”Chapter 2″ orientation=”center”]
[thrive_text_block color=”note” headline=”How Much Does A Blogger Earn In India (Worldwide)”]This is the most important section of this entire free blogging course in India, as this section will motivate you to take blogging business seriously.
Gone are the days when most people think that only by becoming Doctor & Engineer you can get a good job. Although this thought process still exists heavily in India. But gradually people started realizing that there are various other ways one can build a solid career.
Just read few of income reports shared by top bloggers in India.
- ShoutMeLoud: Blogging Income Reports
- CashOverflow Income Report – From Rs. 200,000 to 500,000 monthly revenue ($8000/m)
- Bloggers Passion Traffic And Income Report 2017 & What To Expect In 2018
I have shared a very small list of Indian bloggers who are making huge money from their blogs. In fact, they are making more money compared to a typical engineer or doctor make in India. But the beauty of blogging is that they are making money just pursuing their passion and here the sky is the only limit.
I am creating a list of Indian blogs and how much they are earning from their blogs. Follow the Indian blogger’s income report page. Before proceeding further, let me share a few of the income reports from Top pro-bloggers in the world.
You can bookmark this page, as I will be updating more information and resources to motivate you with many such useful links from various top bloggers around the world.[/thrive_text_block]
[thrive_headline_focus title=”Chapter 3″ orientation=”center”]
[thrive_text_block color=”note” headline=”Must Have Skills Needed To Be A Blogger in India”]Many people think that it is easy to start a blog in 2017 and they don’t need any skill to run a blog. Off-course people always consider the technical staffs like installing WordPress, handle web hosting, set up a blog etc. But do you that you should first how to blog professionally to make money online?
Here are the must-have blogging skills you should know
- How search engines like Google are working in real-time
- What is Search Engine Optimization or SEO, on-page SEO, off-page SEO
- What is Blackhat SEO, white hat SEO, Grey Hat SEO or Pink hat SEO etc
- How to connect to peer bloggers and increase the blogging network
- How to get expertise in Social media and get more visitors
- What other successful bloggers are doing, how they are growing their websites, what are the topics they are writing etc
- What is link building and how to become expert in advance link building techniques like building PBN, Guest posting in High DA blogs etc
- How to write effective content, unique content, viral content for more traffic
- How to market content and promote them on social media & other platforms
- How to create an effective discussion to attract more traffic and increase conversion
- How to comment like a pro-blogger and bring more referral traffic to your blog
- How to bring traffic to your newly started blog without building any links, learn what is zero building tactic challenge many bloggers are taking these days.
- What is affiliate marketing and how to promote affiliate products to convert more
This list is endless in case you want to blog like a pro. Learning is the key to get success in the long run and success will then convert into money.
Ways To Make Money Online Through Blogging
Now, let’s come to the point of behind starting a blog in 2018. You should know first what are the ways to make money online through blogging. So here are the few options which you have to plan before starting your first blog.
Contextual Advertising: Make money through Google Adsense program or related contextual advertising network. For that, you have to build a website with high traffic and also target the Highly paid keywords naturally though content only. E.g. just consider a news website where every day many articles are posting and they make good money from advertising.
Affiliate marketing: This is the best way to make money even without a website also. yes, there are people who are making money without a blog as well. But here we will make it very simple and need to promote products through our blog content. There are various ways to build an affiliate site and one of the common ways is by creating a coupon site. You can share the coupon codes of various merchants and make money on every sale. Besides that, you can write products reviews and get paid per lead. Few of the top affiliate networks are shareasale, viglink etc.
Paid reviews or Sponsored articles: Content marketing is one of the growing things in the world of digital marketing and big companies are always communicating with bloggers to spread about their brands. For that, you should have a quality website with high traffic.
Selling Ad-Space: If your website is very much popular and you are able to get very good traffic, then various advertisers will contact you for promoting their brands on your website. In that case, you can easily sell your website space for placing advertising banners like 300X250 banner, 728X90 banner etc. In such a case, BuySellAds.com is the best place to find more advertiser like this.
Providing SEO consultancy service: Well, are you an expert SEO guy? Then why don’t you start providing SEO services to others and make good money? In that case, you have to make sure that you are able to rank a couple of websites first on Google for building reputation purpose and then promote the same in your website. You might have noticed, many bloggers are promoting the same through HIRE ME page in their websites.
Content writing: Although it’s not required to have a website or blog to start a content marketing business. But still, you can have a website where you can show how much quality article with proper SEO optimization you can create to the world for bringing more business. People are making serious money these days by writing content for others. When you will find a 500 word may cost you only Rs 100 – Rs 150, there are people who are also charging for Rs 1500 – Rs 2000 / 500-word article and getting huge work. So your reputation and quality of writing is the key here.
[thrive_headline_focus title=”Chapter 4″ orientation=”center”]
[thrive_text_block color=”note” headline=”Blogger Vs WordPress: Why Self Hosted WordPress is Better”]
This is a very common discussion or you can say a confusion among beginners. The first confusion is whether to choose free blogging platforms or start with a self-hosted WordPress blog?
Now, if you are serious about blogging want to build a blog for the long term then I will say that you should start with a self-hosted WordPress blog. And there is no alternative to WordPress these days. Let me tell you why you should start a blog on WordPress
- WordPress is the best CMS platform where you can easily build awesome websites in just a few seconds.
- When you build a blog on the WordPress platform, the entire control over design and content is with you. But in the case of free blogging platforms, you never know when your website may disappear due to some violation of terms & conditions.
- All the free blogging platforms have limited control. Means, you can customize your website up to a certain level only, whereas WordPress will give you the 100% control. Whatever you want to design or change, you can do it freely without any fear.
- There are thousands of professional developers are working on WordPress and that’s you can have access to many awesome fast loading themes with huge customizing options. Few of them are Generate Press, Focus Blog, Studiopress theme etc.
But that doesn’t mean that I am forcing you to start a blog on WordPress. And one more thing is that to run a WordPress blog you have to bear a certain cost every year which not very huge. But as a beginner people hesitate to spend money on setting up a WordPress blog.
I have multiple websites in different niches. Most of them are hosted on the self-hosted WordPress platform only. But to try free blogging platform also, I kept a few of my website on Google blogger platform. It helps me to understand both the platform and manage multiple blogs.
If you ask me about Blogger.com VS WordPress.com, I will definitely say Blogger.com as it was powered by Google with lots of features. Here are few key highlights for which I find blogger.com is the best free blogging platform.
You can have your own custom domain name.
- Easily install free SSL certificate.
- No need to worry about security as your website is hosted on the Google server.
- No need to pay for web hosting.
- No need to worry about bandwidth, web hosting size etc as you can upload anything.
- Many free mobile responsive blogger templates available easily. Even if you want to customization, you can easily change the code with little knowledge of basic HTML.
So, how to decide whether to choose a free blogging platform or self-hosted platforms? Let’s make it clear.
- Give self-hosted WordPress blog as the first priority if you are really serious about blogging and want to continue it as a passive career.
- If you are not confident enough, then you may try to start with the Google blogger platform. And later on, you can migrate to WordPress anytime.
[thrive_headline_focus title=”Chapter 5″ orientation=”center”]
[thrive_text_block color=”note” headline=”How To Choose Blogging Niche (Micro Niche VS Multi Niche)”]
Well, there are thousands of profitable niche to kick-start a blogging career. Why I am mentioning profitable niche rather than niche is because we are here talking about blogging to make money online. 🙂
If I have to start a blog in 2018 for making money, I would consider below topics
- Personal Finance
So, these are the top 5 profitable niche I would love to explore in 2017. Well, you don’t have to look for individual queries like below as this article is enough to start a website in any niche.
- Start a travel blog in 2018
- Start a food blog in 2018
- Start a health blog in 2018
- Start a personal finance blog in 2018
- Start an insurance blog in 2018
Just follow this single article to set up your blog in whichever profitable niche you want. I think a simple change in the theme as per the blogging niche is enough to make this process unique for all these 5 niches I have shared. I will also mention the theme which will suit these 5 niches I have mentioned here in the later section of this article. [/thrive_text_block]
[thrive_headline_focus title=”Chapter 6″ orientation=”center”]
[thrive_text_block color=”note” headline=”Which hosting service is best for WordPress?”]
Personally, I am using a couple of them and hosted multiple websites on different hosting plans. This helps me to explore each hosting company and as per my need decide which host is good for which website.
There are many hosting companies out there and it is always confusion which hosting is good for my blog? That’s why I have listed out the top 3 web hosting provider companies who share the best shared hosting plans for beginners.
BlueHost: Choose Bluehost if you are starting with your first self-hosted blog as they provide free domain, free SSL certificate, free Cloudflare integration, easy to use cPanel, good live chat support and cheapest price for first 3 years. If you calculate, you can save huge money by choosing Bluehost. And besides that installing WordPress & setting others things are also too simple. So, best overall hosting provider. My website is hosted on Bluehost PLUS hosting plan from last 2 years, I am satisfied with their service.
SiteGround: SiteGround is one of the newest entry on the list of Top WordPress recommended hosting providers. Siteground plans are really awesome and they offer few of the key things like very good customer support, in-build page speed improvement system using their super cache plugin. Siteground has won a couple of Facebook poll as the Best WordPress hosting providers. SiteGround will cost you a little extra compared to Bluehost and their hosting plans are capped with monthly traffic limit.
HostGator: Hostgator is the old player in this list of web hosting. Their shared hosting plans are designed in such a way that a beginner can easily learn and host their websites without any prior tech knowledge. Hostgator India plans are really cheap and it will hardly cost you Rs 3000-4000 every year. I have a couple of Indian traffic website hosted on Hostgator and they are really going well without any problem so far.
[thrive_headline_focus title=”Chapter 7″ orientation=”center”]
[thrive_text_block color=”note” headline=”What to know before buying a domain name”]
In chapter 5 we have discussed multi-niche vs single niche and this is what is going to decide your domain name. You have thought and do your research before buying the domain name. Because this will become the face of your business in long-term.
If you are starting a multi-niche blog, then try to find out a generic name or brandable name. Because you are going to write on different categories, not on a single topic. Few of the multi-niche website examples are as follows.
But if your plan is to start a single niche or micro niche website then you have to find a suitable domain keeping that topic or keyword on the domain name. Here are a few good examples of single niche affiliate websites.
So, here are few of the basic things you should keep in mind before buying a domain name.
- Make sure you are 100% satisfied with your niche selection and domain name.
- Make sure you are keeping the domain short and crisp. If you target for a single niche website, then keep the main keyword or targetted keyword long terms.
- Try to buy the .com extension, in case you have not any country-specific requirement.
- Make sure you are not adding any trademark terms. E.g. if you are starting a website of Amazon offers or Flipkart sale, then never buy website like Flipkartoffers.com. You will be in big trouble in future.
- Try to avoid numbers, hyphens etc. In case you are not able to get the targetted keyword rich domain, then you can definitely add numbers.
- If you are starting an affiliate website on a single niche, then try to put the buyer intent terms like Best Product Reviews, Best Product Price Under etc.
- There are various domain suggestion tools available like https://www.leandomainsearch.com. You can try these tools to find out a suitable domain name.
[thrive_headline_focus title=”Chapter 8″ orientation=”center”]
[thrive_text_block color=”note” headline=”How to install WordPress on domain”]
Installing WordPress is one of the simplest things in the world now. I still remember when I first installed WordPress, I was not much confidence. But gradually after a couple of installations, it becomes a habit for me. Using softaculous 1-click installer anyone can install WordPress on your domain.
Here I am going to share the step by step guide to install WordPress on Bluehost shared hosting plan.
- Log in to your Bluehost cPanel account.
- Find the Website section and select Install WordPress.
- Click the Install button.
- Choose the domain name to install it to. In the field next to the domain, you can enter a subfolder such as ‘blog’ or leave it blank if you want the site’s main page to be the blog.
- If necessary, you can edit the email address, username & password for the new WordPress installation. Click “advanced options” and you can change those settings.
- Read through the license and service agreements and check the boxes.
- Select the Install Now button.
I already prepared an in-depth article with step by step guide pictures. Here are the articles which will help you to complete WordPress installation.
- How to install WordPress on Bluehost
- How to start a blog on SiteGround
- How to set up a WordPress blog on HostGator
[thrive_headline_focus title=”Chapter 9″ orientation=”center”]
[thrive_text_block color=”note” headline=”Essential settings after installing WordPress”]
So, we are done with the installation of WordPress on our domain name. What is next?
Now we have to complete the remaining things to complete the WordPress site. Here are the basic things we should do after installing WordPress on your domain name.
- By default, WordPress will create a dummy post with the title “Hello World”, a dummy comment and a category Uncategorized. You have to delete the dummy post and comment. Although you can’t delete the category, so you rename the category to a suitable name.
- Change the permalink to a suitable one. By default, it will be selected asthe date & month format. For better SEO optimized permalink change it to Sample-Post. (Go to Settings > Permalink and select “Post name”.)
- Go to Settings > General and change the site title, tagline etc. Also change the Timezone, date format etc as per your preferences.
- Install a premium WordPress theme.
- Install must have necessary plugins like Yoast SEO Plugin, Akismet, W3 Total Cache/ WP Super Cache, Contact Form 7, WP-Optimize, Thirsty Affiliate for affiliate marketers etc.
Read below 2 articles for complete understanding of step by step process in-dept.
- 10 Essential settings after installing WordPress
- 10 must have wordpress plugins to set up your blog
[thrive_headline_focus title=”Chapter 10″ orientation=”center”]
[thrive_text_block color=”note” headline=”how to start writing content for a blog”]