Do you need a security plugin for your WordPress blog? In that case which WordPress security plugin is good to install and help to protect your website from malware attacks? Let’s find out the popular ones.
While WordPress is the most popular CMS, many of the experts have continuously talked about the security flaws of the platform.
The security has definitely been improved significantly in the past several years, but you still cannot afford to have a laid back approach when it comes to the security of your WordPress website.
Why You Must Install A WordPress Security Plugin?
Irrespective of how old or new your website is or what type of website you run, security is a concern for every website owner. To help meet the security needs of these websites, there are several security plugins available for the WordPress platform. These plugins will protect your website from different online attacks & threats.
- There are many vulnerable bots visits your website and try to alter the code of your website. A good security plugin will stop such bots and block them easily.
- Like we do regular scanning of our laptop or desktop PC for virus or malware, we must scan our website for such threats regularly.
- In the case of detection of any threat of malware or corrupted file, a good security plugin can easily remove the file or heal the file and protect the website.
7 Best WordPress Security Plugins Compared (2019)
While there are innumerable free WordPress plugins and many of them are actually pretty powerful, when it comes to something as integral as the security of your website, it is better to go with one of the premium plugins.
But free or paid, how will you get your head around hundreds and thousands of options? Especially when selecting a wrong plugin can compromise the security of your website? To help make things easier, we have selected 7 of the best WordPress security plugins.
1. Sucuri Security
Sucuri is a website security solution provider which is well-known for its WordPress security plugin. The base version of the plugin is free for all but it also has a premium version with added features.
Some of the top features of the plugin are Security Activity Audit Logging, File Integrity Monitoring, Blacklist Monitoring, and Post-Hack Security Actions which make it a must-have plugin for every WordPress website.
- Defend your website against hacks and DDoS attacks with our WAF.
- Identify indicators of compromise with various alerting options.
- Unlimited malware removal and premium response SLAs.
- Lightning fast page speed with our highly optimized CDN.
If you are looking for a comprehensive WordPress security plugin, Malcare is an excellent option. It adds layered security to your website and focuses on finding malware as quickly as possible to keep your website protected.
The pro version of this plugin has advanced features like website hardening, real-time backups, and easy updates to keep the website clean and protected.
- Set up & Running in Just 60 Secs
- Unlimited Scan and Cleanup
- Detects Malware Missed by Other Plugins
- No Technical Knowledge Needed
- Personal Support for Everyone
With more than 2 million active downloads, Wordfence is probably the most popular WordPress security plugin. Apart from adding a firewall to your website, it is a great plugin for preventing brute force attacks, monitoring the security of your website in real-time, IP blacklisting, and login page protection.
All these features are available in the free version of the plugin. You can also purchase the premium version with additional features such as real-time threat protection, 2FA, dedicated support, and more.
- Over two million active installs
- It fights spam, malware, and other threats in real time.
- You can block attacks from specific countries.
- You’ll get firewall blocks and brute force attack protection.
4. iThemes Security
The creators of BackupBuddy plugin are behind this awesome security plugin known as iThemes Security. The plugin offers a number of amazing features such as Security Hardening, Integrity Checks, 404 Detections, and more to keep your website protected.
- Two-factor authentication
- Scheduled malware scans
- Google reCAPTCHA, User action logs
- WordPress security keys
- Importing and exporting capabilities
- Password security and expiration
The basic version of this plugin is free but it also has a paid premium version with additional features.
5. Security Ninja
Security Ninja is one of the oldest security plugins for WordPress and has been improved by leaps and bounds over the years. The free version of the plugin performs more than 50 different security checks of the website to weed out the weak links.
It also does brute force check and has an auto fixer module to help you fix the security issues with a single click. There are additional modules in the premium version.
- Perform 50+ security tests with one click
- Check your site for security vulnerabilities, issues & holes
- Take preventive measures against attacks
- Optimize and speed-up your database
6. All-in-One WP Security & Firewall
As the name suggests, All-in-One WP Security and Firewall is a one-stop solution for all your WordPress security needs. It abundantly focuses on the brute force attacks which are now very common but offers a host of other features such as IP Filtering, User Account Monitoring, etc. to tackle other attacks as well.
Apart from being a powerful security plugin, another great thing about All-in-One WP Security & Firewall is that it is completely free. Each security feature is segmented into three categories:
7. WP Antivirus Site Protection
While WP Antivirus Site Protection is not as popular as the plugins listed above, it works as promised. It is very effective in detecting and eliminating suspicious codes and malicious viruses from your website.
The free plugin can also detect rootkits, backdoors, adware, fraud tools, hidden links, and more to improve the security of your website.
- Deep scan of every file on your website.
- Daily update of the virus database.
- Heuristic Logic feature.
- Quarantine & Malware removal feature
- Alerts and Notifications in the admin area and by email.
While many different types of WordPress plugins are optional, a security plugin is a must for every website. Pick a popular WordPress security plugin from the list above to make sure that your website is protected against cyber attacks.
You can first try the free version of the plugin and then go ahead with the premium offering to make sure that you purchase a plugin that perfectly suits the security needs of your website.
I have installed Wordfence on this website and their FREE version is quite enough to protect your website from malware and online attacks. What is your favorite WordPress security plugin? Write a comment below and share your experience or feedback if any.